For all people with a lived/living experience of mental health issues to engage as valued members in the communities they choose without stigma or discrimination.
To ensure that the voices of people with lived/living experience of mental health issues are heard by decision makers, service providers and the community with a focus on systemic advocacy.
BEING – Mental Health Consumers does not offer individual advice. Our role is to advise the State Government; we influence the decisions which will impact on your experience of using mental health services.
The lived experience of people is fundamental to all that BEING – Mental Health Consumers does and our work is underpinned by a commitment to upholding international human rights.
BEING – Mental Health Consumers holds the following values:
- Respect and dignity for all to enable inclusion
- Social justice and equity to ensure participation
- Belief in recovery to make it possible for every individual to recover
- Integrity to ensure transparency and accountability
- Fidelity to ensure the legitimate representation of the views of consumers
Our Guiding Principles
- Creating space for people with lived/living experience of mental health issues to have their voices heard
- Ensuring that recovery-oriented and trauma-informed practice underpins all aspects of BEING – Mental Health Consumers’ operation
- The belief that services and a life free of stigma and discrimination are the human rights of every person
- Providing capacity-building opportunities for all people with lived/living experience to grow
- Ensuring that everything that BEING – Mental Health Consumers does is consumer-led