BEING is the independent, state-wide peak organisation for people with a lived experience of mental illness (consumers). We work with consumers to achieve and support systemic change.
BEING works in the following capacities:
Policy: advocacy and consultation
- BEING represents consumers by engaging in consumer consultation and participation in forums across NSW, including in regional areas
- Collaborative and responsive policy advocacy work is central to BEING’s work, including writing submissions and providing input and advice to government and other organisations working in the sector
- BEING also undertakes generalised advocacy including developing position statements and conducting issued-based campaigns, driven by findings from consumer consultations
- BEING provides advice and expertise through participation and representation on numerous committees and expert reference groups
Training: capacity building for consumers and workplaces
- BEING provides training and workshops for consumers, service providers, workplaces and policy makers, with a particular focus on consumer participation and systemic advocacy
- This involves the development new and innovative training programs and resources for consumers
Consultation and representation: stakeholder engagement, awareness raising and promotion of consumer issues
- Raising awareness about and promoting consumer issues through a substantial online presence, including the BEING website, social media, media releases and monthly e-News
- Engaging in representation and participation at conferences, seminars and other relevant events, including holding stalls and promoting BEING’s work and raising awareness about the issues facing consumers
- Hosting events, such as Recovery in Art and the Recovery Forum to promote consumer issues and provide a space for consumers to network and engage with BEING’s other stakeholders
- BEING undertakes research on consumer service needs, best practice for mental health consumer participation and quality mental health services
- Establishing and developing relationships with relevant research institutions
Organisational and governance development
- BEING is committed to ensuring its sustainability and continued growth as an organisation and is continuously involved in planning, monitoring and evaluation processes to this end
- BEING supports the personal and professional growth of its staff and Board Members via professional development and training programs
Please note that BEING does not engage in advocacy for individuals.
Please click here for support resources and services.
Being is collaborating with NSW Fair trading to develop educational materials to support people with psychosocial disability who are accessing or managing NDIS funding. Our new project officer is one of the key staff in this project. Below is a quick introduction to the project. Hi, my name is Alisha and I’m the new Project Coordinator here […]Read more
Being Communications Consultation Being is in the process of developing a communications strategy. As part of this process we will be holding a consultation to help us understand how you would like to stay in touch with us and also the kinds of information you would like to receive from us. We’d love to […]Read more
Consumer workshop Date: Friday 14th September 2018 Time: 10 am – 12 noon (please join us for morning tea from 9:30 am) Location: Meeting Room, Collective Purpose, Suite 501, 80 William Street, Woolloomooloo, NSW 2011 What is the workshop about? The aim of this workshop is to get consumers’ perspectives on a new national […]Read more