BEING is the independent, state-wide peak organisation for people with a lived experience of mental illness (consumers). We work with consumers to achieve and support systemic change.
BEING works in the following capacities:
Policy: advocacy and consultation
- BEING represents consumers by engaging in consumer consultation and participation in forums across NSW, including in regional areas
- Collaborative and responsive policy advocacy work is central to BEING’s work, including writing submissions and providing input and advice to government and other organisations working in the sector
- BEING also undertakes generalised advocacy including developing position statements and conducting issued-based campaigns, driven by findings from consumer consultations
- BEING provides advice and expertise through participation and representation on numerous committees and expert reference groups
Training: capacity building for consumers and workplaces
- BEING provides training and workshops for consumers, service providers, workplaces and policy makers, with a particular focus on consumer participation and systemic advocacy
- This involves the development new and innovative training programs and resources for consumers
Consultation and representation: stakeholder engagement, awareness raising and promotion of consumer issues
- Raising awareness about and promoting consumer issues through a substantial online presence, including the BEING website, social media, media releases and monthly e-News
- Engaging in representation and participation at conferences, seminars and other relevant events, including holding stalls and promoting BEING’s work and raising awareness about the issues facing consumers
- Hosting events, such as Recovery in Art and the Recovery Forum to promote consumer issues and provide a space for consumers to network and engage with BEING’s other stakeholders
- BEING undertakes research on consumer service needs, best practice for mental health consumer participation and quality mental health services
- Establishing and developing relationships with relevant research institutions
Organisational and governance development
- BEING is committed to ensuring its sustainability and continued growth as an organisation and is continuously involved in planning, monitoring and evaluation processes to this end
- BEING supports the personal and professional growth of its staff and Board Members via professional development and training programs
Please note that BEING does not engage in advocacy for individuals.
Please click here for support resources and services.
Time: 10am – 1pm (Registrations open at 9.30) Date: Friday 9th March 2018 Location: Glebe Town Hall, 160 St Johns Road Glebe NSW Alternatives to Suicide is an innovative peer led suicide prevention program from the Massachusetts Recovery Learning Community (USA). Being and inside out & associates australia are pleased to bring Caroline Mazel-Carlton and […]Read more
In September, Elena and Kirsten attended WentWest in Western Sydney to hold a consultation about the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) and mental health. The NDIS has been available in the Western Sydney area since July 2016. People spoke about their experiences accessing the NDIS. In particular, attendees echoed what other people have said, including […]Read more
In September 2017, Elena and Kirsten visited Queanbeyan and sat down with some local people to talk about what is happening in this area in mental health and wellbeing. Some of the key themes that came out of the consultation were: a lack of services in regional and rural areas; difficulty in getting access to […]Read more