BEING is the independent, state-wide peak organisation for people with a lived experience of mental illness (consumers). We work with consumers to achieve and support systemic change.
BEING works in the following capacities:
Policy: advocacy and consultation
- BEING represents consumers by engaging in consumer consultation and participation in forums across NSW, including in regional areas
- Collaborative and responsive policy advocacy work is central to BEING’s work, including writing submissions and providing input and advice to government and other organisations working in the sector
- BEING also undertakes generalised advocacy including developing position statements and conducting issued-based campaigns, driven by findings from consumer consultations
- BEING provides advice and expertise through participation and representation on numerous committees and expert reference groups
Training: capacity building for consumers and workplaces
- BEING provides training and workshops for consumers, service providers, workplaces and policy makers, with a particular focus on consumer participation and systemic advocacy
- This involves the development new and innovative training programs and resources for consumers
Consultation and representation: stakeholder engagement, awareness raising and promotion of consumer issues
- Raising awareness about and promoting consumer issues through a substantial online presence, including the BEING website, social media, media releases and monthly e-News
- Engaging in representation and participation at conferences, seminars and other relevant events, including holding stalls and promoting BEING’s work and raising awareness about the issues facing consumers
- Hosting events, such as Recovery in Art and the Recovery Forum to promote consumer issues and provide a space for consumers to network and engage with BEING’s other stakeholders
- BEING undertakes research on consumer service needs, best practice for mental health consumer participation and quality mental health services
- Establishing and developing relationships with relevant research institutions
Organisational and governance development
- BEING is committed to ensuring its sustainability and continued growth as an organisation and is continuously involved in planning, monitoring and evaluation processes to this end
- BEING supports the personal and professional growth of its staff and Board Members via professional development and training programs
Please note that BEING does not engage in advocacy for individuals.
Please click here for support resources and services.
Don’t lose your marbles is an exciting event held during Mental Health Month to raise awareness for mental health and the design of mental health services in our local community. Friday October 13th 3pm-5.30pm Northcott Community Centre and Ward Park Belvoir St, Surry Hills Free BBQ | Coffee Cart & Cake | Info Stalls | Music […]Read more
We have a number of consultations being held in September, on a few different topics. Feedback from these consultations will help inform our advocacy and policy work and Beings direction for the future. A general consultation is one with no specific focus, where you can provide feedback about what is working and not working for […]Read more
A few weeks ago Jaime and Sage visited people with a lived experience of mental health issues in the mid-North Coast to talk about their experience of the mental health system and what changes they would like to see. A major issue for most people we spoke to was how they were treated by staff […]Read more