Expression of Interest
Do you want to have a voice in what Being does in 2018-19?
Apply to be a member of our Community Advisory Group!
Being is looking for people who are passionate about making a difference and being part of contributing to our organisation and activities in 2018 and 2019. The Community Advisory Group will be the key advisory group provide BEING with advice, recommendations, and to inform us about the issues important to people with lived/living experience of mental and emotional distress.
If you would like to apply for the Community Advisory Group, please read the following information which outlines the selection criteria for the position, as well the values of Being. To apply to be a committee member, please answer the questions below the APPLICATION subheading, and email your responses to Emma at email@example.com.
Applications close on 29th January. Unfortunately applications received after this date will not be accepted.
Please ensure you meet the selection criteria below:
- Lived/living experience of mental and emotional distress;
- Previous experience of committee work and ability to demonstrate this through the attached questionnaire;
- Personal values which align with the principles and values or Being
- Willingness to commit to a two year membership throughout 2018-19
- The ability to attend four to six meetings per year at the Collective Purpose offices in Woolloomooloo, Sydney on a bi-monthly basis
- The ability to undertake some out-of-session work as required
Please note: whilst we welcome people from rural and remote areas, we are unable to cover the cost of attendance at all meetings. Teleconference facilities will be made available for those in rural and remote areas.
BEING’s vision is for all people with a lived experience of mental and emotional distress to participate as valued citizens in the communities they choose.
BEING’s purpose is to ensure that mental health consumer views are heard by policy makers, service providers and the community, through promoting consumer participation in relevant policy making and service development decisions.
The lived/living experience of people with mental and emotional distress is fundamental to all that BEING does and our work is underpinned by a commitment to upholding international human rights.
BEING holds the following values:
- Respect and dignity for all to enable inclusion
- Social justice and equity to ensure participation
- Belief in recovery to make it possible for every individual to recover
- Integrity to ensure transparency and accountability
- Fidelity to ensure the legitimate representation of the views of consumers
Our Guiding Principles
- Principles of recovery underpin all our work
- Recognition of the importance of a holistic approach
- Collaboration and team work
- Flexibility, responsiveness and innovation
- Consultative and participatory processes that have consumers at the centre
- Promoting equity and positive images to address discrimination and prejudice
- Accessible and approachable for all
- Promoting professionalism and quality practice
Do you fulfil the selection criteria above?
☐ Yes ☐ No
Contact phone number:
Your Skills & Experience
Please keep your responses to each question under 200 words.
- Tell us why you would like to be on the Being Community Advisory Group, and how you believe you can contribute to shaping the future of Being
- Provide an example of a time you brought an idea to a previous committee – what was the idea, and why did you choose to present it to the committee?
- How have you advocated for your ideas to be heard and your voice shared at previous committees?
- How did you deal with committees going in a different direction?
- What ideas you would like to put forward to this committee, and why do you think they’re important to Being in 2018-19?